Do you love sweet potatoes?
After moving to the South I have become obsessed with sweet potatoes. Never in my life have I heard of a pie or cupcake made with sweet potatoes until I moved to Georgia. I used to eat sweet potatoes in savory dishes, but now I’ve found a love for them in sweet treats too. That is why today I am sharing with you my sweet potato breakfast muffins recipe.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
Sweet potatoes are made up of predominately complex carbohydrates and some simple sugars. Some highlights of sweet potato nutrients include:
- Extremely rich in Vitamin A – good for vision, bone health, and skin
- Good source of fiber – approximately 4 grams in 1 medium-size sweet potato
- Rich in potassium – promotes a healthy heart
How to Make Sweet Potato Puree:
You can buy canned sweet potato puree, but making your own is super easy. All you need to do is grab 3-4 sweet potatoes and follow these simple steps for making homemade sweet potato puree.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray your pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Poke each sweet potato a few times with a fork and place them on the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Once out of the oven let the sweet potatoes cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork or potato masher.
- Use immediately or store them in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Uses for Sweet Potato Puree:
- Makes an excellent side dish – mashed sweet potatoes
- Snack – a fellow RD swears by topping sweet potatoes with almond butter for a satisfying snack
- Baked goods – muffins, bread, cupcakes, pies, cakes, etc.
- Homemade Baby food
Nutrition Fact of the Day:
Did you know that one medium-size sweet potato contains more than three times your daily recommended allowance for Vitamin A.Print
Let me know in the comments section below if you try this sweet potato breakfast muffin recipe!
Other muffin recipes you will love:
SAVE THIS SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST MUFFIN RECIPE BY PINNING IT TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD: