Takeout for two? Not today!
Today I’m sharing my homemade inspired Chinese takeout chicken fried rice. I have nothing wrong with Chinese takeout, just to make that clear. However, most of the time you can find me whipping up something similar at home to save some money $$$! I also love cooking recipes inspired by different cuisines at home.
The secret ingredient for my fried rice is fennel seeds. They have a slight black licorice taste, so a little goes a long way. Fennel seeds are actually one of the ingredients in Chinese 5-spice seasoning. So I figured why not add them to my Chinese fried rice.
To make this recipe convenient I used frozen stir fry vegetables instead of fresh ones.
Advantages of using frozen vegetables include:
- Less time spent cutting and preparing vegetables
- Frozen at peak ripeness (retention of nutrients)
- Increased storage life
- Reduced food waste
Do you make any homemade versions of your favorite takeout meals?
This recipe turns traditional takeout chinese fried rice into a homemade meal with a twist.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb chicken cutlets, cubed
- 1 bag Frozen Asian vegetables
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 green onion (green parts)
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- Heat sesame oil on medium-high heat in a pan. Once heated add cubed chicken cutlets. Pan fry until cooked through. Remove from the pan and place to the side.
- Add frozen vegetables to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add eggs and scramble in the pan.
- Once the eggs are cooked add the cooked brown rice, cooked chicken, fennel seeds, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Stir well to combine. Let the heat crisp some of the rice on the bottom by creating one layer and letting the mixture sit without stirring for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with green onions as a garnish. Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time:10 minutes
- Cook Time:20 minutes
Keywords: Homemade Inspired Chinese Takeout, fennel seeds, asian recipes, health weeknight meals, made at home, easy, tasty, thirty minute meals, dinner, lunch, leftovers
Let me know if you try this Better Than Chinese Takeout recipe in the comments section below!
Are you a fan of Asian flavors? Try my Asian pasta salad here.